Monday, September 16, 2013

Online Learning

It seems that nowadays online learning is the norm with the anywhere, anytime, any pace motto.  From completing entire degrees online to taking one or two online course to ease your already busy life and classroom schedule.  With online leaning having its strengths and weaknesses, of which you can easily search online for a list of pros and cons (Google it!), I find myself conflicted with its effectiveness and take away. 
 
Last year, I began registering for online classes solely to expedite the completion of my undergraduate degree as I physically cannot be in two places at once (I work full time and own a small business with my fiancé).  I register for three to four in-class courses (however many fit my schedule) and have been tacking on a fourth or fifth online class.   I am currently registered for what I hope is my sixth and final online course - the principles of new media.  Of the five completed online courses, I solely took away valuable knowledge from one course. 
 
Truthfully, the online learning environment lacks the commitment (and maybe training) of enthusiasm, innovation and creativity from Professors that appeases my work and learning style.  Yes, I am aware, I am generalizing a large group, however I believe I've taken a fair share of CUNY online courses to come to this conclusion.  Especially after taking a recent online course by Professor and Entrepreneur Joyce Sullivan who's passion and eagerness to teach an online social media course was refreshing and exciting - so much that I had to meet her in person! Can many of you say that about an online course?
 
Now what this blog is really all about is me fulfilling a class requirement for an online course. Due to the content of the online courses I've taken, students have been required to enter the realm of social media and new media, requiring the creation of online profiles and accounts.  Forcing students to publicly tweet, share, post, and blog.  Which brings me to why I'm writing this piece today.  I have officially been pushed into the black hole of blogging.  While I tend to occasionally read blogs, I find that blogging is a new media that has never piqued my interest. 
 
So here goes to my attempt at blogging on the topic of new media!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment